Featured

Bookmark and Share
Custom Search

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Earthquake shakes Miami Valley; many report feeling tremor


DAYTON — The U.S. Geological Survey is reporting a 4.2 magnitude earthquake Thursday near Kokomo, Ind.

The earthquake, which was five miles southeast of Greentown, Ind., occurred about 7:55 a.m.

Some Miami Valley residents in the counties of Montgomery, Greene, Miami, Warren and Darke have reported that they felt the ground shake Thursday morning.

“(It) shook our house just before 8 a.m.,” said Carol Odgers of Bellbrook via e-mail. “ Chandeliers and lampshades wobbled. “It was over before I could get to a doorway (about 3 seconds), but also caused a rift of snow to fall from the roof.”

“I was sitting at the computer in the loft of my house when pictures on the wall in front of me started to shake. It lasted about 5 seconds,” said Paul Rybolt of Greene County.

Tina Lee of Miami Twp. said she had lived in Los Angeles for 14 years so she was used to earthquakes and tremors. “I was sitting in my bed working on my computer and I felt the bed move for about seems like a couple of seconds. I immediately looked at my clock and it said 07:56 a.m.,” she said.

“I felt it here in Butler Township at 7:46 am.,” Jack Smith said via e-mail. “It was very mild, but a definite earthquake.”

“I was sitting at the kitchen table this morning when the house shook and items on the counter rattled. This was just before 8 am.,” said Jo Ella Michael. “We live just north of Arcanum, Ohio. Also thankful that’s all there was to it.”

April Cook, an administrative assistant for the city of Miamisburg, felt the aftershock in her Centerville kitchen.

“It startled me,” said Cook, adding that the aftershock lasted several seconds. “I live in an apartment building and at first I thought it was someone in the next apartment. It felt like they were trying to break the wall down. Then I heard about it on the radio.”

John Ramer of Piqua said he was on his couch reading the newspaper when he felt a slight tremor. “Our house is very sturdy so I thought there must have been some pretty high winds. I checked outside, but conditions were calm. I then assumed the tremor was driven by an earthquake somewhere, and I noted the time was 7:55,” he said.

So far there have been no early reports of significant damage.

Check back for details.

Staff Writers Margo Rutledge Kissell and Jill Kelley contributed to this report.

Contact this reporter at (937) 225-2414 or kwynn@DaytonDailyNews.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

news issues damages Design by Insight © 2009